Skip to main content

Filing A Dual Status Tax Return

A dual-status tax year exists when you are treated as both a U.S. resident and a nonresident for tax purposes during the same calendar year. It usually occurs the year that you arrive or depart from the United States. Different tax rules apply to the part of the year in which you are the U.S.

Foreign Tax Credit for U.S. Citizens and Residents

If you are a U.S. citizen or resident but you paid taxes to a foreign country, you may also be subject to international tax by the U.S. on that same income. However, in some cases, you may be able to take a foreign tax credit or itemized deduction on your U.S.